How to Read this Blog

When I started this blog, I could not figure out, within the given parameters, how to get it to read logically. So it ended up with the freshest post on the top of the page with the top of the post being the beginning of the post. When you get to the end of the post, you will find the beginning of the previous post. A bit awkward, but ...it is what it is. (right David?)

Also, feel free to leave comments. I engaged the annoying "real person verification thingy" because some dork put an add to his product on my blog and disguised it as a comment. He probably works on wall street.

Monday, December 6, 2010

The Duke of the Day was The Sons of Katie Elder. Billy is trying to convince the Duke and Dean Martin not to look into their father's death, or something like that.
You are right, this is not my crew cab. Once again, the Cummins Ramcharger is taking time, energy and money away from completing the crew. Not long ago, I replaced the raggedy old worn-out Dana 44 with a Dana 60. I can't remember if I updated the rc blog with that, but, long story-short, the 44 had 4:10gears as did the rear axle. The 60 had 3:54 gears which I worried would be too tall for the 37" tires I am now running on it. I was planning on replacing the Ramcharger's rear axle, also a Dana 60, with a Dana 70 with 3:54s from one of my donor trucks, but the taller gear ratio kept nagging at me. So, instead, I bought a Dana 60 carrier with 4:10 ring and pinion and decided to have M&H machine install them for me. To save a little money and not have my truck tie up their shop, I stripped the axle and pulled it out completely and just took them the housing. When I get it back, I will have 4:10s front and back.

Okay, that might have been the long story. The fun part of this was that my son and my daughter's boyfriend helped me pull it out. It is important for him to know that I know my way around power tools and, thus, aught to treat my daughter right.
So, while the Ramcharger was tying-up my shop and not wanting to add the expense of a body lift to this project, I remembered the 1 1/2" spacers in the Ramcharger. It had a body lift when I bought the carcass, but I do not need it anymore since I tweaked the rear of the front fender openings to clear the 37" tires (probably did not update that on the rc blog either). Anywho, I pulled these spacers out of the RC and lowered the body down to the stock isolators. Now I won't need to jump quite as high to get in.
Back to the crew... Here is one of the spacers on top of the new isolator at the front right cab mount.
Crappy pic of the right rear cab mount.
Mission accomplished, The cab now just clears the fuel tank by a little under 1/2". The floor clears the bell housing, tranny,and transfer case. All is good and the price was right.
Here they are, side-by-side.

No comments: