Saturday, March 28, 2009
Her is the engin with frash paint. I ran out of orange before I got to the oil pan.
To get to the top inside nut on the power steering pump, I had to modify a 15 mm wrench. Luckily, in my toolbox I was able to find a cheap loner wrench. A few seconds with the torch, and I was able to get right back to work. (unfortunately, I left the acetelene bottle on and now it is empty. Doh!)
My custom wrench.
Friday, March 20, 2009
I started by removing the dampner. The unmistakable smell of locktite, not to mention the hernia in my gut, tells me these bolts were put in to stay. (note to self: Get the four dampner bolts off the head and into a labeled bag, Dummy.)
Having removed a cummins timing cover before, I knew there were different length bolts holding it on. Some go through the cover and case and into the block (long). Others just hold the cover to the case (short).
To avoid confussion upon reassembly, I made a map of the cover. At the bottom I traced each size bolt and labeled the long bolts "1" and the short "2." I also indicated any "special" doodads different bolts, such as on extended "1" and one extended "2" that hold the factory tach pick-up.
Friday, March 13, 2009
Somebodies mod on the throttle linkeage
Thursday, March 12, 2009
Wednesday, March 11, 2009
Since the engine was sitting on blocks on the floor, and one of the blocks was under the bell, I lifted the engine with the cherry picker.
A shot of the inside of the bell housing with the clutch fork and throw-out bearing set in place.
A shot of the pressure plate on the back of the engine.
A peek at the fingers on the pressure plate.
"LUK" is stamped into the pressure plate. I mainly want to post this and some of the following pics so I can link to them when I ask some qustions over at dieseltruckresource.com and or ramchargercentral.com.
12 1/4 inches.
Not dead, but not enough to put back on. Looks like I am buying a new clutch.
More numbers. These are on the flywheel.
Inside of the pressure plate.
Flywheel on the floor.
More flywheel info.
Here is a shot of the adapter plate that attaches the 1993 engine to the NV4500 that did not come out in the dodges until 1994.
A bit blurry shot of the end of the crank and the back of the block. Finally a mounting surface for the engine stand.
I may regret it later, but I left the starter on the adapter plate. I di not have a metrick 12 point socket to remove the starter bolts. Sniff. I smell tool purchase in the near future.