How to Read this Blog

When I started this blog, I could not figure out, within the given parameters, how to get it to read logically. So it ended up with the freshest post on the top of the page with the top of the post being the beginning of the post. When you get to the end of the post, you will find the beginning of the previous post. A bit awkward, but ...it is what it is. (right David?)

Also, feel free to leave comments. I engaged the annoying "real person verification thingy" because some dork put an add to his product on my blog and disguised it as a comment. He probably works on wall street.

Wednesday, March 11, 2009

Wow, middle of June to middle of March. Seriously, where have I been.

Last summer I took time off from this project to work on my Cummins Ramcharger project. After getting that on the road, I played with it all summer, including entering it in three sled pull competition, with the best performance taking sixth place out of twenty-some trucks at Banks, Oregon.

Anyway, I am back to work on the crew some more. Today, I lifted the engine off the floor with the idea of setting it on the engine stand. I got as far as removing the bell housing, clutch, flywheel, and adapter plate. I did all this only to find that I did not have any metric bolts the right size to attach the block to the stand. Hopefully I can get a trip in to the parts store on my way home from work tomorrow.

When I pulled the engine out of the doner frame, I first disconnected the NV4500 5-speed from the bell housing. I left the bell housing and clutch intact on the block.



Since the engine was sitting on blocks on the floor, and one of the blocks was under the bell, I lifted the engine with the cherry picker.



A shot of the inside of the bell housing with the clutch fork and throw-out bearing set in place.



A shot of the pressure plate on the back of the engine.



A peek at the fingers on the pressure plate.


"LUK" is stamped into the pressure plate. I mainly want to post this and some of the following pics so I can link to them when I ask some qustions over at dieseltruckresource.com and or ramchargercentral.com.



12 1/4 inches.



Not dead, but not enough to put back on. Looks like I am buying a new clutch.



More numbers. These are on the flywheel.



Inside of the pressure plate.



Flywheel on the floor.



Flywheel number.



Flywheel number.



More flywheel info.



Here is a shot of the adapter plate that attaches the 1993 engine to the NV4500 that did not come out in the dodges until 1994.



A bit blurry shot of the end of the crank and the back of the block. Finally a mounting surface for the engine stand.



I may regret it later, but I left the starter on the adapter plate. I di not have a metrick 12 point socket to remove the starter bolts. Sniff. I smell tool purchase in the near future.


No comments: