How to Read this Blog

When I started this blog, I could not figure out, within the given parameters, how to get it to read logically. So it ended up with the freshest post on the top of the page with the top of the post being the beginning of the post. When you get to the end of the post, you will find the beginning of the previous post. A bit awkward, but ...it is what it is. (right David?)

Also, feel free to leave comments. I engaged the annoying "real person verification thingy" because some dork put an add to his product on my blog and disguised it as a comment. He probably works on wall street.

Thursday, January 6, 2011

Working My Core

Before welding the 1.5 x 3 tube on the bottom of the core support, I wanted to make sure it would all fit together. I clamped the tube to the bottom and set the core in place. Then I hung one fender and propped the inner fender in place.
I needed to make sure there was ample room for the fender near the marker lamp. I had cut my tubing to be the same length as the width of the core support. The metal I cut away was not as bulky and tapered at the ends. With the tube cut off square, I could get my fingers between the end of the tube and the fender, so all is well here.
Then I set, or should I say, I tried to set the intercooler in place. I only did the test fit on the turbo side, but my problem became pretty obvious. The 1st gen intercooler inlet and outlet tubes are centered up and down on the intercooler. The 2nd gen cooler has inlet and outlet tubes on the bottom. The inlet tube shown hits the inner fender.
After studying this issue, it looks like I can massage the inner fender around the pipe. I do not think this will get the inner fender too close to the tire. In fact, I really can't see why the inner fender has this lump in it anyway. So, massaging the inner fenders gets added to my to-do list. I assume the left inner fender wil have the same issue.
Here is sorta how it looks with the intercooler almost in place.

No comments: