How to Read this Blog

When I started this blog, I could not figure out, within the given parameters, how to get it to read logically. So it ended up with the freshest post on the top of the page with the top of the post being the beginning of the post. When you get to the end of the post, you will find the beginning of the previous post. A bit awkward, but ...it is what it is. (right David?)

Also, feel free to leave comments. I engaged the annoying "real person verification thingy" because some dork put an add to his product on my blog and disguised it as a comment. He probably works on wall street.

Thursday, January 6, 2011

Final Stages of Intercooler Mount

Since the new construction on the core support fit without issues, other than the mods I will need to make to the inner fenders to clear the inlet/outlet tubes, I went ahead and burned the rectangular tube to the the bottom of the core.
Next, I needed some brackets to support the isolators at the bottom of the intercooler. I made these by cutting a section of the same rectangular tube off the scrap end about 2 inches long. Then I drilled a 1" hole in each side of the section. Finally, I cut the section of tube on the diagonal to make two brackets like the one pictured below. The 1" hole receives the rubber button isolator that slides on a stud on the bottom of the intercooler.
This pictures the other side with the isolator in place. This locates and securely holds the bottom of the intercooler in the same way it was held in a factory application.
Next, I fabbed-up some upper mounts. This is a piece of 1" square tube with a 7/16 nut welded in the end. I am holding it with a pair of funky laminated vice grips. The right end is notched to fit flush with an indentation in the core support where the battery tray mounts.
Here it is welded in place with a slotted donut shaped isolator. I did the same on the other side. This located the top of the intercooler and keeps it from jumping out of the lower mounts.
Here is the core with the finished mounts and the intercooler (and ac condenser for that matter) securely mounted in place.
This is the engine side view showing the ac condenser and the in/outlets of the intercooler. Next will be supports for the radiator.

No comments: