How to Read this Blog

When I started this blog, I could not figure out, within the given parameters, how to get it to read logically. So it ended up with the freshest post on the top of the page with the top of the post being the beginning of the post. When you get to the end of the post, you will find the beginning of the previous post. A bit awkward, but ...it is what it is. (right David?)

Also, feel free to leave comments. I engaged the annoying "real person verification thingy" because some dork put an add to his product on my blog and disguised it as a comment. He probably works on wall street.

Thursday, April 23, 2009

The best news of the day

Ever since I bought the donor with the NV4500 transmission, I have been unsure as to whether the truck was originally a Getrag 5-speed or an A518 automatic. Since it did not have the heat exchanger on the side of the block ot a throttle positioning sensor on the injection pump, I hoped it was an original 5-speed. I knew the current 5-speed was a replacement because it was not a Getrag. My doubt came because the three screw/bolts on the AFC that hold the cover on and also hold the TPS bracket on auto trucks were missing. The reason I was concerned is that the transfer-case input shafts on the auto trucks were significantly smaller and weaker than those for the stick trucks. The automatic equipt trucks have a 23 spline input to the t-case, the 5-speeds came with the beefier 29 spline input.
While I was waiting for my clutch to come from Uncle UPS, I figured I would sepparate the tranny/t-case so I could mock up the tranny placement and figure out what kind of cross member issues I will have.
Gloryosky Batman! I count 29 splines. Thats money I don't need to spend. Both the input on the t-case and output on the tranny have the same 29 spline count!




No comments: